Acorn Acres is a one-acre natural playscape that offers children a unique place for unstructured play and outdoor learning. Located within the Riverview Boardwalk at Fontenelle Forest Nature Center, Acorn Acres offers children a chance to be delightfully boisterous, physically active and wonderfully creative.
Each area in Acorn Acres is designed to foster the development of observation skills, fine and/or gross motor skills and problem solving abilities. The areas also offer opportunities for cooperative play as well as sensory experiences. Whether you are a parent, grandparent or caregiver of children, we truly look forward to seeing you enjoy and explore Acorn Acres.
Playscape Activity Areas
- Turkey Trot Music and Dance Area: Dance to music made from natural materials including marimbas, rain sticks & seed pods
- Dragonfly Pond: Float sticks and leaves down a miniature waterfall
- Nature’s Nook Art Area: Create projects from natural materials on a barrier-free work/play table
- Butterfly Garden: See the fluttering of hundreds of butterflies
- Fox’s Secret Hideaway: Pretend to be a small animal burrowing into its home
- Beaver Building Area: Build with branches, logs, tree cookies and piles of leaves
- Mole Digging Area: Dig for treasures in a level area on the forest floor or on a raised, barrier-free table
- Squirrel Climb and Crawl Area: Hop from stump to stump and crawl through hollow logs
We would like to extend our gratitude to the many donors and volunteers who made Acorn Acres a reality.
- Stanley J. How Architects, Inc.
- Boulevard Gardens
- Dillon Foundation
- FF Volunteers
- Friends of Kate Murphy
- Guild of Fontenelle Forest
- Tom and Gerry Morrow family
- Offutt AFB Volunteers
- Omaha Community Foundation
- Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo
- Peter Kiewit Foundation
- Rick Schmid and Margie Reed-Schmid
- Sarpy County Probation Office Volunteers
- Webster Family Foundation
- William R. Patrick Foundation